+ Pages +

Monday, November 17, 2008

An Autumn Saturday at the Wind City, Chicago

The Malaysian Gang plus my dear big sis Lynn who is the photographer for this particular picture.

The trip was organized by the International Programs Council for students.
All we had to do was to pay a total of 20bucks for a bus ride to and fro, which was really reasonable. :)

Chicago, the Third largest city in the United States.
Many a times we take advantage of it as it was only 2 and a half hours away from Kalamazoo. This is my second year here and I am yet to really explore the city.
Can't wait till I'm 21, I'll be going bar hopping then.

The wind was extremely strong that if I were small and thin enough, it might just blow me away.


Our first stop was Chinatown.

Lynn always wanted to explore China Town, guess she was the happiest person in the entire trip to get her wish fulfilled.

SimpleCheryl who was obsessed with bubble tea but didn't get to drink it because we were too full from lunch.

Matt (Ke Cheng), Jo (Da Cheng), Lynn and I.
The brothers and sisters of the trip.
Matt is the first American boy who knows how to speak Mandarin, he spent an academic year in Bei Jing studying its culture and language.
Yup just as you guessed, Ke Cheng and Da Cheng are their Chinese names.
*And by the way, the reason why I look so retarded was because instead of saying 'cheese' for the picture, Cheryl made us say 'whore'. And I guess I was the only who said it.


Leng Chai Ke Cheng and Big Sis Lynn

One thing that I missed about Malaysia was the bakery that we had.
Be it Berry's, King's, Bee's... I miss walking into a store and getting pastry, garlic buns, cinnamon rolls and all sorts of yummlicious baked goods.
And we were definitely happy to find the best Egg Tart store.

They even had You Char Kuai!!
Stupid us for not tarpau-ing some home.

Lynn and I only bought an egg tart each because we were afraid that it would be a hassle carrying it around Chicago.
I guess, we were sillies for not buying more, and now we both regret.

Ling Kit the poser.
:)
Too bad the sign was too expensive for him to buy home since he is the official chef of his house.


Pisha and I in front of the China Town Border.

This was where we had Dim Sum!!!!
Although it was 16bucks per person, it was super duper worth it!!!
I'm definitely going back!!! Woot*

We had to take the train back to Chicago Downtown and all of us were super 'jakun' and excited because we didn't know what to do or which part of Downtown to go.

While waiting for the train...

The 'almost like LRT' back home, only much much faster.

Lynn and I with China Town behind us

Small Boy Kit and I

:)

Down Town Chicago behind us.

Outside the subway

Cheryl's GOSSIP GIRL poster

Look what we found in the train!
One thing about the Americans are that they don't care about what people think and they don't judge people. The funny thing is that you get see macho African American boys all ghetto and hip but carrying a Sponge Bob Square Pants back pack.
XD

Yes, to Chicago

Looks like the tunnel of death.

Yeah.... got to Downtown Chicago safely! *winks*

One of the first few things we saw was the Gay Parade.
Due to the election, gay rights have been taken away and thus led to protesting.
Look at the amount of supporters they have!

'We are not enemies but friends'
Which is true.
Off with all sorts of sexist and racial discrimination!

We had an adventure of trying to find our way to the Navy Pier- the place where we get picked up to get back home.
Trust me, people would think that we were crazy runny after a bus, knocking on it's door while it was waiting for the traffic light to turn green.
Despite all the drama, we finally got to the right bus stop and hopped unto the right bus number 66 to get to Navy Pier.

Em tired Souls

After a couple of tiring hours of shopping at H&M, Forever XXI, Express and exploring Michigan Avenue (the shopping district), we got to the Navy Pier for dinner.
Our Server of the night who is a funny character. :)

Everyone enjoyed the live jazz band and awesome graffiti walls of Joe's Bee Bop Cafe

Ready for dinner!

SimpleCheryl and I

At the end of the day, I HEART CHICAGO!!!!!
And I am broke :(

No comments: