+ Pages +

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Everyone is talking about Swine Flu.




MEXICO CITY -- In response to the swine flu outbreak that has left dozens dead in Mexico and spread to other countries, officials here launched a campaign to inform the public on virus symptoms, prevention and treatment.

The following information was provided by the Mexican Ministry of Health.

SYMPTOMS: Sudden fever above 38 degrees (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit), cough, headache, aching joints, nasal congestion and general fatigue.

DIAGNOSIS: Clinical examination of secretions from the nose and mouth in the first 24-72 hours after presenting symptoms, and a study of blood samples to detect existence of influenza virus.

TREATMENT: In confirmed cases, Mexican authorities have provided patients with flu drugs Seltamivir or Zanamivir under strict medical supervision, and warn against side effects in misuse.

The Mexican government said that the antiviral drugs would only be administered if infection is confirmed.

Authorities have reportedly some million doses on hand, although local media warn that pharmacies have run out of treatments.



*************


One month ago, MummyDearest texted me and warned me about the Swine Flu outbreak in the United States.
Three weeks ago, I laughed when I heard that the Government of Egypt ordered every pig in the country slaughtered.
Two weeks weeks ago, a colleague told me that her boyfriend's sister we sent to the hospital because of Swine Flu.
Last week, the some of the Malaysian students in WMU reconsidered going to the Annual Mid west Games held in Illinois because of the extremely high number of confirmed cases of Swine Flu.
Four days ago, I found out that there were six Malaysians (in Malaysia) diagnosed with Swine Flu.
Two days ago, I watch I am Legend, talked about Swine Flu with friends who came over that night, and dreamed about Swine Flu wiping out mankind like how it was in I am Legend.
*Wrong movie at the wrong time*
Yesterday, we found out that the Mid West Games were canceled because of the epidemic.
This morning, I found out from Jeph that we had our first Swine Flu victim in Western Michigan University.
A few minutes ago, Lynn confirmed with me that the first Swine Flu victim in Kalamazoo is non other than a Malaysian student that I know.



Now, I am scared.


What is happening to this world?
I know that many agreed that we are over-reacting to this H1N1 virus, that so many people died only because they have poor treatment in Mexico as it is a third world country with poor hygiene, blah blah blah...
Even so, I still think that it is darn scary having to know that anyone from anyone could get the virus, and if we still keep up with this ignorant mentality of "It will never be me", I really don't know what will happen.


Pump up the multi-vitamins and echinacea people.
Pray hard, and keep your fingers crossed that it will pass.

1 comment:

DarLyNn said...

oinks