+ Pages +

Monday, May 25, 2009

Jeph's 22rd Birthday

One thing I learned. It's difficult to surprise someone when you DON'T have a car, and when you see the person almost every single minute when you are free.
I got a friend, Iverson to make me a Coffee Flavored Cheese Cake.

Mahal Kita in Tagalok (Filipino Dialect): I love you.
I just love how it meant "expensive us" in direct translation to Bahasa Melayu.

At 12am, surprise!
It was funny that he believed me when I pretended that I forgotten his birthday 3 weeks prior to his birthday :)

Light Coffee Cheese Cake with Hershey Chocolate Sauce. What could be better?



18 hours later when I was suppose to be at work... but not ;)


Coke Pork
I was suppose to use Pork Belly but I could find it, even in the Asian Market.
I couldn't even possibly think of asking Jeph to bring me to the Asian Store in Grand Rapids 45 minutes away or else he would suspect the surprise dinner.
Marinated Pork in Coca Cola for 5 hours and simmered it for as long as you can.

Yummy!
Problem was that I should have simmered it in a slow cooker instead of having it in a normal pot.


Fried Calamari
Drake's is the best fry mix ever.

Marinated the baby octopus in seasoned salt, cili padi, and pepper.
Then, fry!

End product.
Only problem was that I didn't know how to keep it crunchy.
Boo.

Stir fried Okra (Lady Finger) in dried Chili and Garlic.
Best dish ever.. *pats back*


Happy Boy.
I hope you enjoyed your surprises this year!
Mahal Kita Hunn..

2 comments:

Esther Chin said...

you have to teach me how to make the coke pork!

*YenN* said...

Very easy.
Just boil the meat in coke!
Then add soy sauce to taste. If you want it sweeter, add oyster sauce to taste too.
simple as that. just make sure you cook it in a slow cooker for the entire day.
:)