+ Pages +

Saturday, September 12, 2009

New York and a Craving

I am in New York Citay.. WHeeee!!!
I had a short 4 hour journey from Kalamazoo and arrived in Newark International Airport at 11.15pm.
And guess what?

I paid freaking 81bucks for a cab ride to my friend's cozy apartment at Brooklyn.

Dang it. $81 multiply by Rm3.52123456?
You do the calculation, but its about Rm285.

As for now, I have spent more than $100 just on transportation getting in and out of New Jersey, the airport, and the New York transits.
!@#$%^

But it's so damn worth it!


Thanks to my friend, Sarah who accommodated me on a uber cool and comfy air mattress and telling me which trains to take, and places to eat, I feel better being in the city alone.






I'll be watching Next to Normal tomorrow night with my mum tomorrow.


At the Tony Awards
Can't wait!



On the other hand,
I stole this from Sara Lau's blog.
SuperSara all the way from Malaysia, I want this!!!

sorry about the lighting. it was really dark out and this is the best i could manage. if i used flash, it would have been overexposed.
anyway - if you're keen on trying your hand in mooncakes, start with jelly first. it will still be incredibly satisfying and great to to eat too.


recipe:


Mango Yoghurt Mooncake

Aunty Yochanna
Filling:
150g yoghurt
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
100ml whipping cream
100gm mango puree
200ml water
3 tsp agar-agar powder
100g mango cubes
75g castor sugar


Outer layer:
300ml fresh milk
900ml water
120g sugar
6 tsp agar-agar powder
2 tbsp custard powder
230gm yoghurt
230g mango puree
food colouring, optional


1. Filling: Bring water, agar-agar powder and sugar to a full boil. Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks with the yoghurt. (in her blog, my mum stated milk instead of yoghurt)
2. When the mixture has come to a full boil, off the fire and stir in the yoghurt-yolks and whisk thoroughly.
3. Add in lemon juice, mango puree and cream and stir till well mixed. Add in mango cubes
4. Pour into cupcake pans and chill till fully set. (Jelly patties)
5. Outer layer: Cook water, sugar and agar-agar powder till boiling. Meanwhile, mix custard powder with milk. When the mixture is boiling, turn the heat down and add in the milk. stir till smooth.
6. Add in yoghurt, mango puree and food colouring.
7. To assemble: scoop some outer layer mixture into the mooncake jelly moulds just until it covers the surface. Let set in freezer for about five minutes. the mixture should only be half set.
8. Take out the moulds and place one jelly patty on top of the set outer layer jelly. spoon more outer layer jelly over until it fills the moulds. continue process for the rest (You should get about 12 full normal sized mooncake jelly)
9. Chill till fully set.

I love yogurt. I love mango. I love mooncake.

What could be better?

Who want to make this for me???!?

*hint the big sis since she is so free this semester*

No comments: