Thank God Its Friday!
Earlier this week, I have been itching to bake something with oatmeal just because I bought a tub of oatmeal.
I have had a planned date with a girlfriend of mine to bake Carrot Cake on Friday, which is today!
I googled multiple carrot cake recipes and finally decided on the specific type of carrot cake. You have no idea how many there were! Lemon zest, rum, pineapple, etc.
We finally settled with Carrot Cake with Rum soaked raisins.
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cups apple sauce
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 shot of rum
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Marinate raisins in rum, covered with plastic wrap (preferably overnight)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- Mix shredded carrots with brown sugar. Fold in Pecans and Walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.
Izzah mixing in the carrots and nuts
Our heavenly batter. So good you can even eat it on its own.
Cream Cheese Frosting.
We ran out of confectioners sugar half way through, I ended up blending regular sugar and it came out just as fine.
Cooling after 40 minutes of baking.
Izzah and I decided to initial our cake with raisins just for shits and giggles.
Tada!! Buttering up the cake.
If you had more pans, bake two at once, add on more cream cheese and top it over for a double layer carrot cake!
1. The carrot cake was EXTREMELY moist. awesome texture, thanks to the help of applesauce and crushed pineapples.
2. We couldn't taste the rum (because we only soaked the raisins right before we bake.)
Next time round, pre-soak 1 cup of raisin with 2 shots overnight (pour the rest of the rum into batter)
If you want a stronger rum taste, add 1/2 a shot of rum into cream cheese.
3. I LOVE CARROT CAKE!!!!!!
Till..... I get fat.