+ Pages +

Monday, April 19, 2010

Of Homemade Burgers.

and you still wonder why the hell am I complaining that I am fat. Grrr.....

So, I've been into cooking lately. More like baking, but anyhow. I just decided to make homemade hamburgers because it makes me feel as though summer is coming. C'mon, I live in Michigan. One day it would be 26 Celsius, and the next thing you know, it drops to 2 Celsius at night. I kid you not!




Here's all the seasonings I used for the burger. I don't know why did I say Hamburger in the first place when there is not ham involved in it. I made burgers for 10 people but that includes 5 dudes, so there was more than enough.


Burger Patty Recipe


5 1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef 
4 eggs
2 Jalapeno Peppers
6 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
Everything else to taste. Sorry, not that helpful :(
Seasoned Salt
Black Pepper
Chili Powder
Parsley
Cilantro Leaves
Italian Seasoning 


Stuff to go with


Tomatoes
Onions
Lettuce
Cheese
Avocado
Pickles
Sautéed mushrooms and sweet onion 
Chips on the side (great with avocado if you add onions, salt, and lemons to make Guacamole)
Anything you want





I wanted my burgers to be healthy so I picked ground meat that has less fat in it.
See the numbers on the top right of the label?
85/15
Which means that only 15 percent of the meat is fatty meat.
If your meat has more than 22 percent of fat, it is not lean ground beef anymore.

If I had a choice, I would go for leaner meat than 15 percent. The only thing that stopped me was that, the leaner the meat, the more expensive it is. Once again, I'm just a college student cooking for friends. Until I make awesome cash, I'll go cheap but still try to eat healthy.



This is the key ingredient to my homemade burgers. Splash some on burgers while grilling too (if you like it juicy)


Since it was 5 freaking pounds of meat, I used a pot to mix everything because I didn't have a bigger bowl and I didn't want it to be too messy on a chopping board. But here's how it looks like before making it into patties. 


Owh and one important thing, always marinate OVERNIGHT for more flavor.

To make patties, all you need to do is just grab a handful of meat with you hand. Roll it into a ball, flatten the ball of meat, and there you are set. It also depends on how thick you want you patty to be and make sure that the diameter of the burger patty fits your burger buns. Keep in mind that the thicker the patty it, the longer it take to cook!



I bought my favorite Pepperjack Cheese to go with the Burgers.

Pepper jack cheese is a derivative of Monterey Jack that includes spicy hot peppers for flavor. Spicy, delicate and buttery, pepper jack cheese is semi-soft and open textured with a slightly tart flavor.

Also, I sautéed canned Portabella Mushrooms with Sweet Onions on the side. Hence, Swiss Cheese!!
(I would prefer fresh portabella mushrooms, but I am a poor college student and although 50cents isn't gonna make much of a difference, I still try to save whenever I can)


For those who know me well. I am pretty much of a health freak (besides the occasional unnecessary gluttony), I always have vegetable with my meals. I'd rather just eat salad than to have steak with just potatoes as the only source of fiber. You get the deal.

I marinated Green Peppers, Red Peppers, Yellow Peppers, Sweet Onions, and Zucchini in Balsamic Vinaigrette in a pot overnight. 
Throw em on the grill the day of. Or, if you have a tiny grill and have no space (like us), just fry them on a pan. No oils whatsoever is needed. If you think it's too dry, add a little Balsamic Vinaigrette (but you don't wanna soak it). The whole idea is not make it as similar as the grill.

My mistake was that I added a little too much water along with the marinate so it because too diluted.
If you don't have a budget, don't add water at all. Or you could just put a bowl of Balsamic Vinaigrette on the side and your guests can just dip their veggies in it. 


Talk about fiber, here's our source of protein (besides meat)
AVOCADOS!
Cut em, blend em in a mixer with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water. Add a little salt.
There, you're done.

If you know that you  will be keeping it out in the open for a while, add lemon juice to prevent it from being oxidized. 



I also had Bread and Butter Pickles as one of the the condiment options. I personally love bread and butter pickles compared to regular Kosher Pickles. 
Difference between them is that Bread and Butter is sweet and Kosher is salty.
It may sound weird, I know but I think that the sweetness compliments the burger and the taste of it is more subtle compared to a salty pickle.







And of course, you have to have tomatoes in your burgers. Only because I adore them and would eat them like how I would eat an apple :)




**************************************************


I am so bummed that I don't have anymore pictures of the burger making, grilling, and eating process because I was too busy making patties, grilling the veggies, and of course when I was eating, I was all sloppily licking my fingers from the gigantic veggie stuffed jalapeño cheese burger.

And, maybe I did forget to document it because I was too cause up in talking and stuffing my fat face.




But here is a picture of the burger that looks kinda like mine that I found online, but of course not as awesome as mine :)








Results
Two thumbs up!!! And it does make me feel like Summer is near!











ps. i baked yesterday and it is a recipe of my own :)
till next time.




No comments: