+ Pages +

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Old Time's Sake

I was browsing through some old pictures when I came upon 'NEW YORK SPRING BREAK'. I didn't hesitate to click on it. I thought I needed the old time push and motivation on why I wanted to be here in the first place. Funny thing is, I have always wanted come to New York. Don't ask me why. Back when I was in high school and studying music at the same time, I would always tell my mom that when I graduate high school, I will finish my degree and pursue my career in New York City. Heck I didn't even know anything about the city then. It was just a gut feeling.

In late February 2009, I made my first trip with the International Student Organization to New York for a Spring Break retreat. It was my first time in the Big Apple, and boy I was blown away. The urgency and rush of the city gave me a breath of fresh air after being in Michigan for a while, I came to realize that I am some sort of city girl. Yes, I love the greens, the stars at night, and watching furry squirrels and rabbits nibble on seed they find on the ground. But, I would like that on a once a few months vacation.


So here I am, two years later. Based in the city, trying to grind my way through. 


Do I like it? Honestly, not that much. 

Did I regret? Maybe a little. Not on what I am doing right now. But on the fact that I didn't graduate with a double degree.
*wait! hear me out*

Would I do something else?
No. I will keep grinding.



2001, it was a dream.
2008, working towards it.
2010, I got discouraged.
2011, I will keep grinding.


I found this quote on one of my old pictures. I remembered editing it and sending it to someone to encourage them. Funny two years later I found it when I am down myself. Just what I needed, inspiration.



The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence and educational advantages; the question is what he will do with the things he has. The moment a young man ceases to dream or to bemoan his lack of opportunities and resolutely looks his conditions in the face, and resolves to change them, he lays the corner-stone of a solid and honorable success.

- Hamilton Wright Mabie


Time to look in the mirror and say,  "You can do it, I will encourage you, I love you."

2 comments:

EmElbee said...

Don't take on the role of a little mouse chewing on the pantry door. Be a lioness, Queen of the jungle. ROAR!!
Your chances will come. Paying your dues now, will lead to fame later.
-- Bill Jones

EmElbee said...

Ignore previous fortune cookie.