+ Pages +

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dominatrix

I performed in a cabaret recently after one of our Chicago performances to raise money for Mason Street Warehouse. Since it was my third season here, I was extremely comfortable with performing on the stage. However, a few minutes before going on stage, I started to get nervous and my throat decided to close up (I don't even know if that makes sense, but it felt that way). I was a little disappointed with the fact that I could have sung it better, but no use crying over spilled milk right? This is the only recording I have of this song anyways.
I think the last time I got nervous was when I was also performing a cabaret for the first time in New York about 10 months ago.

I was having a conversation with one of the veterans of the show. She has been an actress for the longest time. Been on Broadway, starred in a couple of well known roles and won a few awards. She plays Mama Morton in our production of Chicago. 



MR: "This is my first time performing in a cabaret. I usually avoid these things because I get so nervous!"

Yenn: "But you've been performing for so long!"

MR: "Yeah, but a cabaret is different. Whenever you perform in a play or a musical, you are always playing someone else. On the other hand, you are playing yourself when you sing in events like this. I feel so exposed. So naked."



So darn true.
I do get nervous when I do cabarets because usually when I do it, it would be my first time performing on that particular stage and probably the second time running music with the accompanist. Where else, you do it over and over again for a show during the rehearsal process. We are used to singing the songs and are confident with where the vocal placement, hands, and feet should be!



Anyways, here's my nervous version of Cindy, written by Andrew Lippa.




Hope you enjoyed it! Leave me some feedback! :)

3 comments:

izzy said...

Love it :)

laubao said...

I think you've got a great voice!

*YenN* said...

Thanks guys! :)